Any drive through the United States is landmarked by the various National Parks– which is no surprise considering there are over 400 parks throughout the country. August 25, 2016 will mark the 100th anniversary of the National Park Service. The Service is celebrating both the past one hundred years, and the many more to come. They have launched a new social media campaign called “Find Your Park” (#FindYourPark), through their website: findyourpark.com.
Need any more of an excuse to venture to all the parks, and find yours? Luckily for us Californians, a good number of the national parks are in our backyard– and we might be biased, but they’re also some of the best! Start planning your summer road trip to #FindYourPark now. Here are the closest National Parks to us:
- Cabrillo National Monument in San Diego, CA: The shore where Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo was the first European to step onto the West Coast in 1542. www.nps.gov/cabr/index.htm
- Channel Islands National Park in Ventura, CA: Five islands of marine life preserved and full of anthropological and environmental history; known as the Galapagos of California. www.nps.gov/chis/index.htm
- Devils Postpile National Monument in the Sierra Nevada near Mammoth Lakes, CA: This natural formation of columnar basalt is unnaturally symmetrical and beautiful, surrounded by pristinely preserved mountains and waterfalls. www.nps.gov/depo/index.htm
- Joshua Tree National Park in Southern CA between the I-10 and Hwy 62: In this park, the two desert ecosystems of the Mojave and the Colorado merge, providing a breathtakingly rich experience of culture and natural formations. www.nps.gov/jotr/index.ht
- Mojave Desert National Preserve in Southern CA between I-15 and I-40: www.nps.gov/moja/index.htm
- Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area in Thousand Oaks, CA: whether on the miles of Malibu beaches or 500 miles of trails, you’ll find the perfect adventure in this nearby reserve. www.nps.gov/samo/index.htm
Whether you decide to stick to California or venture throughout the country, make sure to check a few things off your pre-departure list: 1) make sure your car has been recently serviced, and 2) call BMR Insurance at 714-838-1911 to check in about up-to-date insurance coverage. We’re happy to help you and your family take off for a safe centennial celebration of our country’s natural wonders. We hope you #FindYourPark!