Ever heard of the term “curb appeal”? It’s a real estate term used to describe how attractive a house is from the street, and can affect its ability to attract good buyers. And luckily, there are a few ways to freshen up both your front and back yards to boost both the first impression and the value of your home.
The trick is to choose the landscaping ideas that add, not subtract, value from your home. Think your pool is cool? Yeah, not so much when it comes to return on investment, sadly. But Zillow’s team did some research and found out a few important things:
- Home remodeling isn’t cheap, so protect your investments by choosing the right projects
- Improve your home’s worth now with projects, even if you’re not planning to sell for a while. What’s the point of making your home awesome right before you sell it?
- The Zillow analysis found terms used in listings that sold for more than their asking price, so while not overly scientific, these are factors that likely contributed to their selling price
- That said, don’t expect a new back yard to make your home sell for way more than its worth
So, what were Zillow’s findings? Here are the top projects, in order of how much worth they will add to your home:
- An outdoor kitchen
- Solar panels
- Outdoor lighting
- Outdoor fireplace or firepit
- Rooftop deck or balcony
- Hot tub
- Picket fence
Before you start any of these projects, make sure to find a contractor who is licensed, bonded, and most of all, insured. Especially when it comes to roofing—many contractors won’t mention roofing to their insurance agent, as it creates a higher premium. But that means they are underinsured if anything happens while they are on the roof. Ask to see proof of insurance before having any work started or signing a contract.
Have questions? Don’t forget that the team at BMR Insurance Agency is here for you if you have questions about your policy or coverage. Call us at 714-838-1911 or send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t forget to follow us on LinkedIn for all the latest and best information and advice on all insurance matters.