We had a great response from last week’s blog with a burglar’s-eye view of your home. We thought we’d add a few more this week to round it out, especially since it’s a popular time of year for vacations!
Pay heed–these tips are simple, but easy to forget. Even though we’re in the insurance business, we’d really rather you never have to use it…
Here’s EIGHT more things a burglar won’t tell you:
1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a gardener and carry a rake. But I always do my best to never, ever look like a crook.
2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.
3. I’ll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he’ll stop what he’s doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn’t hear it again, he’ll just go back to what he was doing. It’s human nature.
4. I’m not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?
5. I love looking in your windows. I’m looking for signs that you’re home, and for flat-screen TVs or gaming systems I’d like. I’ll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets.
6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. It’s easier than you think to look up your address.
7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it’s an invitation.
8. If you don’t answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.
The sources for this list are REAL: convicted burglars in North Carolina, Oregon, California and Kentucky; security consultant Chris McGoey, who runs crimedoctor.com; and Richard T. Wright, a criminology professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, who interviewed 105 burglars for his book Burglars on the Job.
Remember, you can always get a free insurance quote, or a free 30-Minute Insurance Makeover, with BMR Insurance. We want to make sure that you and your belongings are properly covered in case of a break-in, a fire or any other accident. Call (714) 838-1911 now to schedule an appointment—we’ll even come to you!