At BMR Insurance Agency, we try to provide information that’s informative and relevant for you and your family. When we read the following information, we knew that our customers and blog readers needed to see it immediately. Please read it carefully, as these are actual THINGS YOUR BURGLAR WON’T TELL YOU, compiled from real-life, convicted criminals! Read on:
1. Of course I look familiar. I was just here last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters or delivering your new refrigerator.
2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.
3. Love those flowers. Nice landscaping tells me you have taste…and taste means there are nice things inside. Plus, those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.
4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer on your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.
5. (This one’s not for our local clients in Southern California!) If it snows while you’re out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.
6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don’t let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it’s set. That makes it too easy.
7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink, and the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom—and your jewelry. It’s not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.
8. It’s raining, you’re fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door; it’s understandable. But understand this: I don’t take a day off because of bad weather.
9. I always knock first. If you answer, I’ll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don’t take me up on it.)
10. Do you really think I won’t look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table and the medicine cabinet.
11. Here’s a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids’ rooms.
12. You’re right: I won’t have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it’s not bolted down, I’ll take it with me.
13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If you’re reluctant to leave your TV on while you’re out of town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at faketv.com.)
Does this make you feel like looking over your homeowner’s insurance? We’re IN the insurance business and this information made us check ours thoroughly! For a free insurance consultation, contact BMR Insurance today at (714) 838 1911.
We thank the good people of Reader’s Digest for this fantastic safety information. Look out for another set of tips straight from convicted burglar’s mouths next week!