Still have an itch for summertime adventures, out on the lake or river? Thankfully, we live in California, where summer has year long availability. Before you jet or sail off into the waves, learn a bit about how to rent watercrafts such as boats and jet skis in a safe and smart way.
Before you boat:
- Really, the process should start before you come within view of the lake or ocean. Obviously, this can’t always be the case– just be sure to do your research thoroughly. Dig through customer reviews, rating information, and complaint histories.
- Read before signing! Understand what the waivers and terms and conditions are actually asking you to sign off on.
- Do a thorough once-over of the craft itself. Note any marks, dents, or scratches. Take photos if you can, and ask for a written acknowledgment from the company of these damages, so as to prevent fees after use.
Once on board:
- Understand the US Coast Guard requirements and state law regulations.
- Read the owner’s manual.
- Then, have someone else read the owner’s manual! Always have one backup operator who can take over.
- Stock your craft. Whether jet ski or boat, keep at least one life jacket (of the appropriate size) for each individual on board. On a boat, keep a stock of snacks, water, sunscreen a fire extinguisher, flares, maps, and a communication device in case of emergency.
- Pay attention to the weather forecast– conditions can shift quickly, and the last thing you want is for your sunny day to become rain soaked.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Watch for other boaters of all shapes and sizes: kayaks, jet skis, sailboats, yachts, paddle boats. If you are pulling a tube or skier behind you, have a spotter to alert you of any obstacles.
Enjoy these last moments of summer fun as we head into the fall! Of course, these tips will be just as useful come next summer. Have fun out there for us, and let us know if we can provide any assistance. Have your own jet ski, boat or other watercraft? We can get you a great insurance quote! Call us at 714.838.1911 for a free quote.
© Epicstock | Dreamstime.com – Young Man on Jet Ski